Friday, January 7, 2011

HOME!!!

Louie arrived back in Rochester around 7AM on Monday Jan. 3.  He stopped for a few hours in Kansas City with plans for sleeping through the night.  After 3 hours with the 3 dogs in the hotel room (Hope messing on the floor, Striper whining, and Trout pacing) he gave up and got back on the road.  I'm glad he didn't call to tell me he got back on the road at one in the morning.  I would have told him to turn his rear around and go back to the hotel.  I'm not one for taking unnecessary risks. That's probably why I didn't get a phone call until 6 that morning, an hour outside of Rochester.  Thank goodness, he made it back safe and sound.  He was able to sleep most of Monday and then spend Tuesday unpacking.  He went back to work on Wednesday.

Kinsley and I left San Antonio early Wednesday morning, had a layover in Chicago, and arrived back in Rochester around 12:45.When we were descending into Rochester, we came through the clouds and there was a thick blanket of snow as far as the eye could see.  Kinsley has been on quite a few flights and usually makes comments about the trees or cars, etc but as we landed in Rochester she was completely silent and wide eyed!  She did not know what to think of it (and frankly, neither did I!!).

It's been quite the shocker as we've tried to adjust to the MN winter that we've been lucky enough to avoid for 2 months.  The problem with throwing yourself smack into the dead of winter is there is no adjustment period... there is no easing into this. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and so is Miss Kinsley. She hates her winter gear and throws a huge fit everytime we have to put it on.  She's not a happy camper in her car seat because she can't move when she's strapped in with all her gear on.  I'm hoping as we practice more and more with this, I'll figure out how to be a little more efficient and she'll get used to the new routine.  Now, if you need to know the best way to deal with a sandy beach baby... I'm your girl but, for some reason that skill is not coming in too handy right now.

It is very nice to be back in our house.  I've been inspired by our lack of stuff in our FL apartment and have been "spring cleaning" since we arrived.  My goal is to get rid of as much stuff as possible.  So far I've cleaned out my desk, all our files, my dresser and Kinsley's dresser.  I've still got to tackle the closets and the dreaded utility room (aka storage room).  I have a big weekend planned.  Who's jealous!?!?! :)

I am also glad to be back with my Rochester ladies. I've missed them and am looking forward to catching up with everyone and getting back into my Bible studies.
I think Kinsley still wishes she was in FL too because for about 45 minutes yesterday, she wore her sunglasses.  She hasn't worn them longer than 30 seconds so I'm guessing she really misses the sun. Ha!

We are going through a bit of an adjustment period with our new dog Hope. She is such a sweetheart and is very eager to please.  A stern voice is all she needs and she's heartbroken that she has disappointed you.  We've had a couple of accidents in the house (but I wouldn't want to put my rear in the snow either!) but otherwise she's doing well.  Our dogs on the other hand are not so happy with us.  They are wondering why this new friend is always licking their face and following them around.  If they could talk I imagine their conversation would go something like this:

Hope: "Where you going Trout??? Huh, huh, huh??? Can I come?? Where we going??? I like you a lot!!"
Trout: "I'm going outside... AGAIN, Hope. I need to pee. Please stop licking my face.  Have you ever heard of personal space? Obviously not."

Here is a clip of Hope checking out the back yard and the snow.

I still have to more to post about our San Antonio trip but for now I'm headed to bed.  Love from the Strykers!

3 comments:

Andrea and Colby said...

Glad y'all are back safe and sound! Can't wait till y'all are living here!

Andrea and Colby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica SG said...

Welcome back! Look forward to seeing you this week sometime...cute pic of Kinsley with the sunglasses on!