I've been mulling over what to write in my next blog post. I want it to be a combination of thoughtful, loving, witty, intelligent and respectful because that is who my grandmother was... I'm pretty sure I'm setting myself up for failure here, but I will give it my best shot. :)
My grandmother, Grommie, loved my blog posts. It was one of the ways we stayed connected, with her in Lubbock and me elsewhere (San Antonio, Houston, Rochester, Charlotte). She was one of my biggest fans. She always emailed me after she received a new blog post update and did not hesitate to tell me her favorite part and ALWAYS told me how much she loved me and my family. This will be the first blog post in years that I write that will not receive an email from her in return and my heart aches. There is a hole or a void now in my life, missing her, although I know she is now complete. She can hear fully, dance joyfully and painlessly, and rest eternally in HIS love. Grommie was one of those Christians that had a faith that was rock solid, but contained no judgement or arrogance. She did not push her beliefs on others and loved unconditionally just as He did. I pray that my faith can find that kind of footing.
I have nothing but good memories from my grandmother's house in Lubbock. She has a huge front window where I spent countless hours watching (and dog watching) all the excitement going on across the street in Tech Terrace Park. After it rained, the snails would come out and make their slimy trails across the outside of the window. Every evening we would have happy hour around 4:30 where we would eat cheese and crackers and nuts out of thick wooden bowls, and when I was old enough, enjoy a glass of wine. Grommie was always good company. She had a wit about her that was distinct and admirable. Grommie would cook the most amazing pot roast and then if it was still light outside, we would take our circle walk around the park. We played ping pong in the den and endless card games around the table. Solitaire and Water Works are a couple that come to mind. We spent Christmas morning there often and plenty of time playing 45s on the old, gigantic stereo and dancing. I remember chinese jump rope, and tops, and puzzles, and sidewalk chalk, and filling up the kiddie pool with my cousins. These memories are as much a part of who I am as the color of my eyes. I am sad that my children will not have the same memories. And although, it seems that most of these memories are of an action or a location, the part I'm unable to capture, is the feeling associated with each of these memories because my grandmother and her love is intertwined into each and every one.
My middle name is Hope and Aubrey's middle name is Hope. There is a reason we were named after Grommie. She was the epitome of hope. She was love. She was faith. I can't wait to see her smiling face again some day.
 |
| Aubrey and I flew to Lubbock to introduce the two of them and to say goodbye to our sweet Grommie. This picture was taken in the airport. Aubrey was such a trooper and such a good girl. |
 |
| Looking out of Grommie's big front window. Aubrey liked the view too. |
 |
| Precious. |
 |
| My grandmother kept all our letters, notes and thank yous. It was pretty amazing reading through the old letters. |
 |
| Found this thank you note telling Grommie about my future husband, who as it turns out, she adored almost as much as I do. |
 |
| Me and my siblings taking our last walk around Tech Terrace Park together. It was a very special walk. |
 |
| Louie pulled the girls around in a wagon and Sarah, John and Elijah strolled closely behind. My sister, Sarah and I had fun chatting as we circled. |
 |
| There were pictures of us ALL OVER Grommie's house. Here is Sarah's school picture at about 2. |
 |
| John concentrating on driving at around 5. |
 |
| Holding Sarah for the first time and me sporting some rockin' Debbie Gibson bangs. |
 |
| Sarah and I looking at my Churchill High School year book together. |
 |
| Me at age 2 (I think). |
 |
| A picture button of Sarah that's been on her fridge for a very, very long time. |
 |
| Grommie meeting Kinsley for the first time. |
 |
| Four generations of love in front of the infamous window. |
 |
| Grommie, my mom, and Grommie's sister Bobbie looking at pictures together. |
 |
| Two very special ladies. |
 |
| One of my favorite baby pictures of Kinsley looking out the the big front window. |
 |
| Love! |
 |
| I stumbled upon this verse over the few days between saying goodbye to Grommie and her passing away. It's Perfect. |
2 comments:
A beautiful tribute to a an amazing, wonderful woman. Thanks Doll.
Beautifully written, Catherine! Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment